It's All Good

Andrew asked me how parenthood feels.



Well, Cooper gave me the thumbs up, so I guess I'm doing ok as a mommy.

Motherhood lives up to the hype in every way. It can be overwhelming. Especially at 2am if Cooper's fussy and I go to change him and he explodes and there's "spin art" everywhere. Or when we play and he's having a blast and then out of nowhere he gets bored, overstimulated or gassy and the day takes a turn for the worse. Or I start to imagine all the trouble and/or danger he could get in when he starts crawling, walking, playing sports, dating, driving, and so on. It doesn't matter if your kid is 2 months, 16 years or 36 years. You are a parent from here on out. There are many things in life that you can quit or back out of. Being mommy is not one of them. That's a big feeling.



And then I get one of these smiles. And every moment that seemed hard before becomes effortless. It sounds trite, but it's magic. There are times when he's so happy that he kicks his legs and he lets out a large squeal. There are times when I see him touch something and his eyes get big and I can see him learning. Those moments rock my world. That's a bigger feeling. Thanks, Cooper.

For more of these disgustingly adorable photos, click here to visit Flickr.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mitchell started middle school and it has been a roller coaster ever since. The ride on the bus is much longer and the homework had quadrupled and there is less time for he and I and that is the biggest issue of all.

So now I will pick him up at school and we won't use the desk in his room because the kitchen table is better. He will be with his Mom.

It is really wonderful with all the big boy changes and the ups and downs of puberty that he still needs time with his mom.

Susan

Anonymous said...

Grandpa Joe wants you to know, that is one great f&%@ing! shirt!
You ARE "the Coop"!