The First of Firsts

Dear Cooper,

You came into our bedroom this morning with a smile on your face. Your toothy grin told me that you knew something was up. You were excited.

I made you breakfast. "Here's some yummy pancakes!" I said handing you the plate. "PANCAKES!" you shouted, "I LOVE PANCAKES!" My eyes were wrapped in tears. I was already missing you.

I packed your Animal lunch box with your favorite lunch: half a peanut butter sandwich, green grapes, Goldfish crackers and a Juicy Juice.

I put a change of clothes and a blanket into your SpongeBob pillow case for you.

Your teachers suggested that I provide a "transitional item" just in case you need comfort. Yes, I know you'll be fine. At two years old, you're already adaptable and strong. But if you need him, I sent along your Gonzo doll. Your name is on the back of his shirt.

I put on your lucky green socks, too.

As we walked out the door, I said, "Come on, we have to go to school."

You shouted, "SCHOOL? I LOVE SCHOOL!"



There you are all ready to go.

I dropped you off and you immediately ran to play with the other kids. I had to force you to hug and kiss me and say bye. You wriggled away from my arms and you were off. You were laughing as I waved.

Before I could reach my car, I started bawling. Your teachers saw me in the parking lot and gave me a pack of tissues. Apparently, this happens to every mom on day one and so they have them ready to hand out. They gave me a card said I could call to check up on you if I wanted to.

The day I left for college, my mom cried all morning. I've been crying all morning and you're just down the street at the Y.

Watching your children grow is amazing. And it breaks your heart.

I know you'll be a good boy and make friends. I want to hear all about it when you get home.

I love you, Coop.

-Mommy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He looks like such a "big" boy!!!!!I absolutely love the green socks. They make him look so COOOOLLLLLL!!!!!
This is the firsts of many first....on to the next one....This is one of the biggest. You did a great job....
LOVE
GrannanaMarie

RIRI said...

Cooper you are going to look back at this and think "this was the first day of the rest of my life". Your Mom and Dad have and will be making some
tough choices and major sacrifices to ensure you the brightest future. The green socks will help. Your sweet smile and sensitive soul will too. Having you in our lives has blessed us.

Susan said...

A big day for sure... I am sure that Cooper is up for the challenge of preschool. His parents have always encouraged him to be who he is.

Mitch never kissed me goodbye either. He could not wait to get to preschool, nor kindergarten, nor any other grade including this year. I hope it is the same for your boy.

Love,
Susan

Anonymous said...

I think NH is in a different time zone...maybe it's just me and I'm in the twilight zone...when you said coop was going to school the first week of sept. i don't know what i was thinking but i never thought it was THIS week! Thanks for the blog so I didn't miss all of his "first"! I'm two days late but at least it's still his first week! I hope you are doing better! I want you to know it runs in my family for the eldest child to go off happily to school while leaving the poor mommy sobbing! Just ask Gigi about my first day of school! or I can tell you about leaving Jakob at 6 Arlington St. on Labor Day 13 years ago and how bad the ride back to Bow Lake was for Dad & me! i think you know how that trip turned out... since as miserable as i was then to let him go, how blessed i am now that he met you there!

let the tears flow, you can't help worrying, then just look at your big boy in his lucky green sox and know you that you've done a great job!!!
love jo/mom