Raymond 'Pepere' Charbonneau

The Charbonneau family, still struggling to cope with the loss of my Aunt Karen, has yet another reason to grieve.

My grandfather, my Pepere, died Tuesday of a heart attack. He was 82.



Here is Pepere nearly 30 years ago at my Christening. He's the rather serious looking guy on the left side. This picture makes him look so stern. That's not how I think of him.

He was in the Navy. He was a cook. I know he made a custard pie for the actor Edward G. Robinson once. Mr. Robinson said it was top notch. Pepere was flattered.

He had a family of 11 kids. He drank. He smoked Pall Mall cigarettes. He had a huge voice that filled a room, no matter what size the room was. I get that from him.



My Pepere lived with us for several years on Cape Cod. First, we all lived together at the Panorama Motor Lodge above the Bourne Rotary. This photo is from a New Years Eve celebration there. Don't I look festive? You can see my sis, Danielle, also rockin' the shiny party hat in the background.

Later we moved to Falmouth and Pepere lived in the apartment below our house at the Capewind Motor Lodge in Teaticket.

He used to play with our dog Izzy. He used to ask her over and over again, "Who's a good girl?" Izzy loved the attention.

He'd make amazing stuffed quahogs and clam chowder. (Pardon me, 'chowdah.')

We used to have large, weekend-long family reunions and we never stopped eating, talking, drinking or laughing. He looked forward to them.

In the 90's, he quit smoking and lost a ton of weight by walking every day. The transformation was remarkable. I admired him for it.

He was friendly. He talked to everybody. He got me my first job at a local bakery by telling the owner that I was a great kid. I was 14.

I use to buy him Old Spice and scratch tickets for his birthday.

For the holidays, he used to play Santa Claus. He really played the part, too. He had a real beard and an enormous laugh. Kids used to see him around town and think it was the real Santa.

He always said, "Hi Ho! Hi Ho! Here's Nicole!" Just like the song the 7 dwarfs sing in 'Snow White' as they head off to work. I think it was because I was always doing something, always working, always creating.

He said 'I love you' all the time. He was a wonderful grandfather.



This is without a doubt my favorite photo of my Pepere. I am so fortunate that he got to meet Cooper before he left this earth. Cooper liked him right away.

I feel like I can still here him laughing. Heck, if anyone has a voice that's powerful enough to travel all the way down from heaven, it's Pepere.

I love you, Pepere. You may not have ever won the lottery, but you were rich with a wealth of friends and family and we will all miss you.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Nikki,

We are so sorry for your loss. We know how much Pepere meant to you. He was always very proud of you.
We will have some chowdah in his honor. No skimping on the half&half

Squeeze your Dad for us when he comes home to you.

Love,

Susan, Brian and Mitch

Anonymous said...

Nicole, it's wonderful that you shared that with us. I can still here him at our house. We all miss him terribly.

Anonymous said...

Nikki: What a great tribute to your Grandfather. It brought back many memories of times when McLaughlin and Charbonneau Families were together for holidays and special events. We send our thoughts and love to you, your Dad and Mom and the Charbonneau Family
LOVE
NANA & Bill

Anonymous said...

Hey Nicole,
This is you cousin Kevin. I really miss pepere and it got me a bit emotional reading this. I was with him in his final days. One of the last conversations I had with him was about how he wanted the Sox to win. I guess his wish came true. Its funny how I kinda remember him saying that rhyme about you too (the 7 dwarfs one) lol. But thats pepere, always telling stories and making us laugh. I think it was put best, on the stone over his final resting place, "Ho, Ho, Ho! Let it Ride" Well thanks again for posting the pictures and writing the blog. If you have any other pics of pepere on your pc I would really love to see them... charbo17@msu.edu. Thank You