Our Daily 10 to Noon

Cooper and I go out walking every morning from 10 o'clock to lunchtime. Sometimes we go to the park. Sometimes we go to the mall. Sometimes we encounter strange and wonderful things.



One day, the little old Russian lady who lives in our building blessed Cooper. She was repeating something in Russian over and over again and making the sign of the cross on his stroller. She had a big smile on her face. It was hard to understand her prayer, but I believe I heard the word, "miracle."



On another day, a woman in the super market tried to take Cooper's binky out of his mouth! She was dressed all in peach and her hair was thinning. She looked like she had not smiled in decades. She leaned over and said, "Tell your mommy you don't need that silly thing!" and she attempted to yank it from his lips. Cooper gave her a distressed look and put his hand up to block her. "Did you see that??," she said, "HE SWATTED MY HAND." I kindly told her that he doesn't like strangers taking things away from him because that's MOM's job! She walked away with her panty hose all in a bunch muttering something about orthodontist bills. Witch!


On yet another day, we were approached by a homeless while sitting at a ridiculously overpriced, monopolizing coffee shop, which I won't name. (Let's just call it 'Blahbucks.') Cooper has a very keen sense of smell and when the man came up to our table, Coop made a disapproving face as if to say, "I know I didn't poo. What's the stink?" The man asked for some change. He had a sweet face. I gave him a quarter. It really was all I had. He then looked at Coop and said, "You got any change, little man?" Coop looked at him and started crying. The guy chuckled and said, "That's ok. Sometime I look at me and it make me cry, too."

(These photos were taken by Edy Kowalska. Thanks, Edy!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last night I was watching my son as he stood at the railing in our coliseum hoping to catch a tshirt at the basketball game. I concentrated on the parts of him that are still very much the little fellow I bandied about when he was Cooper's age.

I am so glad that you have this time with your son. It will be the cornerstone of who he is. He is such a beautiful boy, even when he makes a face!

Much love,

Susan

jessica said...

How is it that your baby continues to take my breath away everytime I see a new photo? These are wonderful. I should of known they were taken by Edy. The subject is clearly flirting with the photographer.

Nice job on your miracle baby. He just keeps getting better.