The Artist's Way

I've started a 12-week program called, The Artist's Way.

The book encourages artists to stop judging the art they make and embrace the creative spirit that is alive and at work in all of us. The exercises are supposed to help blocked, stifled and depressed artist find their path. Sure it sounds new-agey, but belittling a method that could possibly aid me as an artist is just fear and self-sabotage, right?

My first assignment is a daily one. It's called, "Morning Pages." Each day when I awake, I'm supposed to grab my notebook and write no less than 3 pages of stream of consciousness writing. No sensor. No filter. No attention paid to punctuation or spelling. No rules.

It was freeing! And it was weird. I started writing about the guy from Blues Clues.

NO! Not that that one. That's the old dude named Steve. I like the new dude named Joe:
He just handles the material in a very believable way. My stream of conscious writing went on and on about how I prefer Joe to Steve. Oh. My. God. Please don't let me be that mom at the playground talking about which member of The Wiggles is "hot." Yeeks.

Oh...according to "The Artist's Way," I'm not actually supposed to share my stream of consciousness writing.

Am I'm already messing this up? Whatevs. I refuse to judge myself!

SEE! IT's already WORKING!!!! YAY!

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Nicole, I can't believe how big Cooper is! I have been meaning to write you for a long time, but have been hesitant for one reason. I started making something for Cooper before he was born and have yet to finish it. Now, I fear he is too old for it. I felt terrible because I had not sent it yet, and so I did not write.

I'm in France now, and just wasting time on the internet and had to check out your blog. I'm on here now, too. (Thanks to you I knew about it.) I have a blog about my experiences here in France for the trimester. stacyinfrance.blogspot.com Hope you check it out.

Oh, and I prefer Joe, too.

Susan said...

The Tagues love Steve.

Blues Clues came on the air at Nick, Jr. when Mitchell was a toddler. I credit this show with Mitch learning to read so young. He figured out how to turn on the closed captioning on the tv by the time he was two.

They would run the same show every day for a week. I hope they still do that because it really is beneficial to the children watching.

Mitch would watch and read the show everyday. When he was two Mitch was a clue for Halloween. (White sweatshirt with a big blue puff paint paw in the middle.)

Sorry, but it is Steve in this house.

That does it for my morning string of conciseness. Be grateful it was not three pages.

Much love,
Susan

Kayla Cagan said...

Hi Nicole!

I just started reading your blog. You are FUNtastic. I did the Artist's Way in the 90s...and I'm still doing morning pages now. I didn't dig everything in there, but I found a lot of it very valuable. Keep with it! You will be suprised how addicting mps can be. Yes, I wrote mps. I went there.

Kayla!