Class Photo

Is it just me, or does Coop look GIGANTIC?



I've avoided writing about daycare thus far. After all, this blog is public and I want to be sensitive to everyone, most of all to Cooper.

Coop loves school. He adores his teachers. He lights up around the other children.

However, he has had some trouble adjusting. There have been reports of aggressive behavior, pushing, hitting and biting.

I always thought that two-year old boys were supposed to be tiny maniacs. First of all, they are TWO. Secondly, they are BOYS.

I never imagined that I would be in parent/teacher meetings that included words like "attention deficit" and "autism" and "Asperger's syndrome." Not so early in his little life, anyways.

No, I didn't arrange regular playdates for Cooper prior to entering school. Yes, we read together every night. Yes, I let him watch television--an hour of Sesame Street in the morning and 30-minutes of Muppet Show or Fraggle Rock before bed. No, he doesn't eat his vegetables.

And, no, I don't think there's anything wrong with him.

I've been told that I'm wearing love goggles.

I've been told that I'm too close to step back and see.

They do have more experience with children that I do.

My gut and my heart says he does not have a developmental disorder. I think I need to listen to my senses first and go with my instincts.

Isn't that parenting?

5 comments:

Susan said...

When Mitchell was in preschool at the ripe old age of four I was told that we should consider readiness and that he was not ready for kindergarten. He would not sit still. Perhaps we should have this investigated.

We took him to Kindergarten screening anyway. He scored off the charts. He was already reading and had basic math skills. He was also a boy and a Tague. He still can't sit still.

If you are really concerned, ask his pediatrician. Just because someone works in a preschool does not mean that they know what is going on with your kid.

You're the MAMA. If there was something wrong with Cooper, I think you would know it. And being two and being a boy does lead to aggressive behavior. He has only been in school for a couple of months, for goodness sake.

Stay strong.

Love you,

Susan

Anonymous said...

Listen to Susan! She is wise!
You are a wonderful Mom and you know your boy.
love you too, Jo

Anonymous said...

WOW!! He is big. I'm calling the Celtics!!!
and guess what....his heart is big too.
When he's 4 or 5 you'll be laughing about all of this.
I know smart children. I had two of the smartest and this is a very special boy!
Believe it or not, I was known to have a temper myself, once upon a time. (I still prefer to call it passion) Love, Pepere

RIRI said...

When you were five Nicole, we lived in Wareham where you started kindergarden. You loved it. Then we got a call from the school saying you couldn't go anymore because you didn't make the age requirement by a few months. Your Dad and I fought and met with all the powers that be and you went back because we knew even though you were young you were ready. Just like you know Cooper is ready. You and Jakob are fighting for him just like every good loving parent fights for what they khow is right for their child. Hang in there it will be so worth it.

Anonymous said...

Nice to see/hear you are a normal parent with a normal child. Susan made a very very good comment when she said that "just because someone works in a preschool does not mean that they know what is going on with your kid". AMEN

As you will notice along the school year journeys many teachers do not have children of their own. They miss that intuitive feeling a parent has. Perhaps they are more objective and don't wear the "love goggles" parents do - but really - parenting comes with parental instincts that only a parent feels, trust yours.

Listen to your heart. Be open to advice. Love.

Looking forward to seeing you all and the "little rascal".

I remember when my Richie was in pre-school and I was called in because Richie was always in a corner with a girl and the teacher thought his sexual misconduct would get him removed from the catholic school. Imagine!!!