SPD

This is what they think Cooper is struggling with:

Sensory Processing Disorder

Do you squint at bright sunlight?
Do you dislike having messy hands and feel the need to wash them when they're dirty?
Are you bothered by itchy clothing?
Then you, too, could have sensory processing disorder!

Or, maybe, like most people, you are annoyed by annoying things.

I'm not sure what to make of this. One of the suggested therapies is wearing weighted clothes. The teachers say he responds better in social situations when he has a backpack on. They suggested I look into getting him a weighted vest and seeking occupational therapy.

There is nothing more important to me than Cooper. I want to do what's best for my child. But weigh him down? At 3 years old? I just think that the weight of the world ends up on your back soon enough in this life. Isn't childhood the one time when you should feel free?

Or maybe I'm in denial. He's crashing into others at school. It needs to end. I'm all ears, people. Any advice?

3 comments:

Tarryn Poulton said...

Hi Nikki,

SPD can be a pretty scary thing and not well known by the general population. I am an Occupational Therapist and have seen the wonders of deep pressure with so many children. I know it seems like you're weighing him down but I think you should give it a go!

There are general guidelines when using weighted equipment: only apply 10% of your child's weight, only allow him to wear it for 30 minutes and then give him a break.

You could also try lots of movement and muscle activities to give him the same feedback (proprioception).

Good luck - I hope you find that it works!

Joe said...

Please google PreSchool behavior problems scholastic.com and give it a read.
Cooper is just a normal 3 year old boy in a very new world.
I love you. Dad

Susan said...

I'm mostly with your Dad on this one except I think Cooper is really bright and that can lead to problems due to boredom.

Brian finds comfort from the weight of heavy afghans no matter the temperature. It stops him from twitching so much in the bed. All Tagues twitch.

"Weighted equipment" seems a little drastic for a three year old. Maybe you could craft some really cool vests with Cooper and fill them with dry beans for weight.

Have you seen Sunshine Cleaning. It seems to me Cooper is like the kid in that movie... very bright and so teachers have difficulty keeping him engaged.

Hang in there. You are raising a great kid.

Love!