Family Vacation - Part 2



They say Maine is Vacationland. I agree with they! They be right!



Maine is both beautiful and mysterious. The jagged rocks, the twisted trees and the old homes hold countless secrets. If you listen closely to the coastal breeze, you can hear the faint voice of deceased actor Fred Gwynne saying, "Sometimes...death is bettah." ('Pet Cemetery' ref. Some local author named Stephen King wrote it. )



Coop enjoyed picking up shells and playing with starfish in the tide pools on the rocks.



He wanted to continue climbing, but the rocks were a bit treacherous. He kept crying, "UP! UP! UP!" Perhaps he'll be one of those nuts who climb Everest!



It's tough being a continent away from Mimi, Grampy, Uncle Jay and Scott. Coop had the time of his life.



I like the face he's making here.



Jakob took this photo of me lounging on the rocks. In fact, that's a perfect title for this image: "On the Rocks."



"Aye, Captain! I see a mess of red hair."

The rock pictures are a family tradition. I've seen pictures of Jakob, Sean, Scott and Jordan as small children playing with their dad on the rocks at Pemaquid.



Now I have photos of Cooper playing with his dad on the rocks of Pemaquid.



Our fave place to eat ended up being Shaw's--a wharf restaurant where the lobster boats come in and unload their fresh catches of the day! Sure, it's a tourist magnet, but the food was BEYOND DELECTABLE!



If I counted correctly, Jakob had onion rings at every other meal and three platters of fried scallops.



I tried to refrain from fried foods. ("Vacation" and "diet" do not go hand in hand.) I did have some onion rings (beer batter is brutal for the belly bulge) and I had to have chowdah!



I hate this picture, but Jakob loves it. What is being slurped down faster at this meal: the raw oysters or the martini?



It was great to see Cooper play amongst the trees. My own childhood was filled with adventures in the forest or at the beach.



Now Cooper is having his own adventures. He found a tree frog and shouted "Riddit! Riddit!"



Here's Coop spending some quality time with Uncle Scott.



And here's Coop spending some quality time with some heavily buttered corn on the cob.



Jakob did find some time to smile, despite work woes.



This summer has been a stressful one. I look forward to a time and place where my husband can slow down and relax just a bit. Before he knows it, his little son will become a young man. ("Cats in the cradle and the silver spoon...")



Life is both short and long. I'm glad I have my family around to help make it joyful, too.



Oh, and I had a mad love affair with a pirate, but that's a post for another blog.

After Maine, we spent time with Great Grandma and Grampa Bonin on Cape Cod before we flew back to Burbank.



Those two weeks were fabulous. But it's good to be home. There's some time to adjust before autumn comes and changes everything.

1 comments:

RIRI said...

The two weeks went by too fast in New England for all. This needs to be an annual thing. You all look so happy.