We Hurt, But We Smile

It's been difficult...

I've had a hard time trying to...

There's so much going on inside me...

Grrrrrrrrr.

No sentence I write is right.

This is the eleventh time I've tried to start this post. I'm going to lead with that. If I continue to struggle with how to talk about my sadness, well, it ends up being yet another struggle and that makes me sad. See how that works?



Last week, Cooper and I went to do our "sit in" at the YMCA. Mommy observes as baby explores the new and exciting world of pre-school.

The first twenty minutes were splendid. We met Teacher Porsha and Teacher Jill. Both were amazing.

Cooper played well with the other children. He loves fake food. I don't know what it is about plastic fruits and veggies, but kids can't get enough of pretending to cook it, eat it and serve it up on plates with a combo of tastes that do not traditionally go together, like bacon and chocolate cake. (Mmmmmmmmm. I'd eat that.)

Then, it was time to clean up. The whole class started organizing toys into bins and placing them away on shelves.

As the other children formed a circle on the carpet in preparation for story time, my son went ballistic grabbing at everything. He threw musical instruments. He screamed and stomped. His trantrum continued throughout, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish. (Some consider it Geisel's filet, but I've always favored McElligot's Pool.)

I tried to comfort my child with a hug. He pushed me away with a , "NOOOOOOOO!". My heart shattered.

Instantly I remembered saying awful things to my mom. I called her an ugly old witch once when I was five.

I smiled and told him it was all going to be ok. I felt awful. "I'm a bad mom," has surpassed, "I'm so fat," as the negative phrase that repeats in my head. Perhaps I have not prepared him enough. My concentration was never on manners. Mostly, I just loved him, played with him and prevented him injuring himself via electricity or sharp objects.

I think I gave the appearance of a cool, calm mom. The teachers assured me that that it's always overwhelming at first and Cooper will do just fine.

I'm sure he will.

It's mommy that's questionable.

4 comments:

Ryan Gantz said...

love love love love love love

Anonymous said...

In tell me a mitzi, Jacob screams to get the parade ( & president) to come baccckkkk! Cooper had a fine time but wasn't ready for it to end. He will learn that play time with "the gang" will come backkkk too. I wish I could tell you there won't be anymore tears for you, but i'd be lying. Once when Sean had given me a particularly trying morn.( 4 years old) & no breakfast food, outfit, or anything else was working out or making him move, i was so full of doubt and frustration. Tears, they keep us from imploding.
You are a wonderful mom!!! Your precocious & precious lil' guy will keep everyone hopping. I don't think we'd have it any other way!
love you, my beautiful daughterinlaw, Jo

Susan said...

I am sorry for your malaise. It is difficult to let our children go. It is hard to watch them struggle with the newness of a structured setting.

Sooner than you think, Cooper will adjust to his preschool. The hardest part of being a mom is letting our children be independent of us and letting someone else take responsibility for them. The teacher's are right. Cooper 1s not the first child to have to adjust to schools and rules. He will.

Please hear that you are a GREAT mom. Your boy is strong willed and bright and playful and creative. You nurtured those qualities. They will serve him well throughout his life.

I love you,

Susan

Anonymous said...

You are a Super Mom! Cooper is one of the happiest,inquisitive, sensitive and compassionet children I've ever met. I'm not just saying that because I'm his proud Memere either. When he stayed with us last weekend he picked up all his plastic food and put them away happily. He handed me his orange rinds when he was "ALL DONE" Any task even going in for a nap or to bed for the night was smooth and without protest. Mommy and Daddy must be doing something right. Oh yeah he also washed his hands and face and brushed his teeth with a broad smile. This boy is a sweet soul. He gets this from you.