Triptych

When we moved to Tujunga, we had a big wall that needed art. Jakob wanted to hang work I'd already completed. I begged him not to. I wanted to make something new.



I started this painting in August. It took nearly 3 months, but I am done. At over 160" long, it covers the entire wall.



The first panel features Cooper looking into the fish tank. I was going to add more color and detail to his hair and shirt, but there's something about the soft, almost out-of-focus quality of the image. I decided to leave it be. I don't make that choice often in my work. I usually futz with stuff until I futz it up.



The second panel is where I let things get nutty. There are Chicken Fish, fish with spectacles and mustaches, (kinda resembling R. Crumb) a stingray because one once jumped up at Cooper, and a Rock-A-Billy Fish. The Crossword Fish was a last minute idea for a fish that I just didn't have an idea for. It has grown to be one of my favorites.



The third panel is the most busy and the most representative of Cooper. There's a Peanut Butter and Jelly Fish. There are Jack-O-Lantern Fish, Santa Claus Fish, Dog Fish, Dinosaur Fish and an octopus--all things he digs. Oh, and a sea anemone, 'cause that's where Nemo lives.

This painting is for Cooper. I'm sure it's too big and too loud and too crazy...but I suppose that's indicative of his mommy. I hope he likes it.



I think he does.

5 comments:

RIRI said...

Just look at that simle! He loves Triptych and so do I. Wow...this is big. It reminds me of the Aquarium at the Pacific and the mural at Childrens Hospital. Cooper looks so happy. I'm so proud of how creative you have been. You have such good work ethic. Now get some rest time and enjoy this creation. I love you and miss seeing the smiles in person.

Awol said...

Does one of those fish have Van Gogh's beard?

Beautiful. Can't wait to see to in person.

p.s. - my verification word is 'flarp' which I think may be a kind of one of those fish.

Jessica said...

I like it a lot!

Anonymous said...

Listen to your mother!
Your painting is wonderful just like you, now lie back and enjoy it with Coop & Jakob.
Jo

Anonymous said...

PS. N, I love and respect my son,
but I'm so glad that you didn't listen to him this time. Your mural is truly fabulous! J