20 weeks to go...



When I found out I was pregnant...I didn't believe it. You see, I wasn't even that late with my period. I peed on a stick on a whim. Low & behold, a bright blue plus sign stared back at me. It kinda made me feel like my pee was magic! But it didn't make me feel pregnant. I was sure it was a mistake--merely a false positive. Or perhaps I was being 'Punk'd.'

I took test number two. When the same blue crisscross appeared, I laughed...and then cried...and then laughed until I cried. But the funny thing was, I STILL did not believe it. SURE it was possible. It just seemed like a strange twist of events for the week. Sunday - clean apartment, Monday - get haircut, Tuesday - CONGRATS. YOU BE PREGGO!

I had plans to hang out in Westwood with my friend Andrew Wollman that afternoon. Without thinking, I stupidly ordered a beer at a bar. Then I panicked. I saw a floating image of the blue crisscross in the foam at the top of my beer mug. YIKES! Images of deformed fetal alcohol syndrome babies flashed and swirled inside my mind. I couldn't drink it. Andrew excused himself to use the restroom and I called my husband Jakob.

Me: "I'm in a bar with Andrew and I can't drink my beer."

Jakob: "Why not?"

Me: "Oh, I should probably tell you that I took a pregnancy test and it said I was pregnant."

[Big pause. A pregnant pause, if you will. ]

Jakob: "You're telling me this OVER THE PHONE?!? While I'm AT WORK??!?"

Yeah, in retrospect, I should have said it to him face to face. But I reasoned that we shouldn't get overly excited since I hadn't been to a doctor yet.

We went to the doctor a week later and she confirmed it, adding that the tests nowadays are 99.99999% accurate. So keep that in mind ladies. Clear Blue Easy speaketh the truth.

Now, I'm approaching my 5th month. WARNING--I'M GOING TO GET WAY SCHMALTZEEE HERE: Everyday I fall more in love with the life growing inside me. And every night Jakob leans in to my stomach, kisses it and says, "Daddy loves the baby."

1 comments:

Awol said...

Oh god! Then we sat through like a whole dinner and movie or something without you two getting to talk about it openly?!

That's crazy. My do I feel like an after-the-fact third wheel.