1977



This is a picture of my mom and me. Look at how BRAND NEW I am. Pudgy. No neck. Squinty-eyed. My mouth is shaped like a little bell. I'm freakin' adorable!

I've been looking at this photo trying to imagine that I'll be holding my own baby in just over two months.

Wow.

Jakob and I have found a song that we can both sing to my belly.
Loudon Wainwright wrote it while his wife Kate was pregnant with Rufus.
They sing it together on the album Attempted Mustache
It's called, "Dialated to Meet You."

We're wondering when you will arrive
We're wondering what you'll be
We're wondering if you'll be a 'her'
Or if you'll be a 'he'

Maybe you'll arrive today
Perhaps tomorrow night
We're hoping you won't hurt too much
And that you'll be alright.

Life has a few unpleasantries
We may as well confess
We suppose you'll cry a lot
And that you'll be a mess

There is one thing you should know well
On this there is no doubt
You cannot get inside again
Once you have come out

Even though there's trouble
Even though there's fuss
We really think you'll like it here
We hope that you like us.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off, Nicole -- you are your mother's daughter! When I first saw the pic I was like "Did Nicole already have the baby???"
Second, the song made me a bit weepy! I have the entire McGarrigle Sisters discography (highly recommended) but didn't really get into the Louden thing as much -- I'll have to check that CD out!
--Lisa*

Awol said...

I second Lisa*. You should try and take the same picture once your bundle is delivered, I'd love to see them side by side, across a generation.

Awol said...

And I second the hippos!

Anonymous said...

Someone mentioned Loudon Wainright to me at work.

Then I watch the Squid and the Whale, Loudon Wainright was on that.

Then this mention, out of the blue. Came to your site through link sent by a guy who might do some design work for me.

Guess I'll buy some Wainright.

You're already a pretty good parent!

dc
father of twins

Anonymous said...

Hi it's Mom I forgot my password ...no surprise
WOW ...FLASHBACK TO THE 70'S.I agree with Lisa. You are your mother"s daughter. I'm so proud of you. Having you put Dad & I on the road to riches. The kind you can't by. The ones that are priceless.
Keep singing to that baby....LOVE THE HIPPOS
GRANNEMARIE