Baby Shower Extravaganza!!!!!!!!!!!


Did I mention that my friends are AMAZING?!?

This past Saturday was my 'Rockin' Baby Shower. ' It lived up to its name.

Lisa Sichi, Kate Turnipseed & Nicole Elliott-Bayes truly outdid themselves on every level. They decorated my apartment with paper lanterns, streamers & balloons. The color scheme was my favorite pallet: black, white & red. Very rock n' roll. Very White Stripes-ish. Coincidentally, I learned that black, white & red are the very first colors babies see.

Elliott (I MUST get used to "Elliott-Bayes." She's a married lady now!!!!) made the most delectable cupcakes. She went as far as to provide BOTH chocolate and vanilla selections. Pure. Cupcake. Heaven.

Turnip made this STUNNING cake. Since Jakob & I are waiting until birth to find out the sex of the baby, she made it a half boy/half girl cake and named it, "Hermmie." There was food aplenty. Instead of 'pigs in a blanket,' the partygoers were treated to 'piglets in a diaper' (a.k.a. mini-cocktail weenies wrapped in dough diapers). TOO FREAKIN' CUTE!

Sichi was the best darn Game Show Host...EVAH! We're talkin' pro. The first game was "Baby Pictionary." The clues were all song or movie titles that had to do with parenting & babies. Million Dollar Baby. Hit Me Baby One More Time. Parent Trap. Andrew Giza was victorious.

The next game was "Make Your Own Clay Baby." The contestants had five minutes to mold a clay baby. It could be at any stage they wished, be it zygote, fetus, infant or toddler.

Chantal DeGroat went with a monochromatic baby which she says is, "really fashionable in Europe." Cristine McClure made a happy baby with a white umbilical cord, green smile and pink body. Very 'Pop Art.' Matt Duersten's baby looked like it had a huge phallus, but he assured me that it was an umbilical cord. Mike Yank's baby had a yellow diaper because it peed itself.

The winner: Sue Bell! Her baby had great detail (Sure she was a bit of a ringer. She IS a Havard artist) and a cute Buddah belly. We gave an honorable mention to Asterios Kokkinos' enormous, orange, cigarette-smoking baby named 'Giganticus.'

The final game was a hoot. 'Pin the Tail on the Donkey' is lame. HOWEVER, 'Pin the Tattoo on the Baby' is RAD! Kevin Chesley took top prize here.

Sichi also made a fun (and challenging) 'Beautiful Baby Word Find' and a stellar guestbook where folks could not only guess the sex, weight & birthday of our bundle of joy, but also gives us some sound advice about raising kids. Here's a few samples:

Having been a weird kid myself once, let em' be weird.
-Andrew Giza

Having been a flatulent kid once, check before you change. Just cuz' she smells funny, doesn't mean she's dirty.
-Michael Hennessy

Having been a bratty kid once, presents solve everything.
-Karen Stein

When at the airport and immigration is giving you sh*t, pinch your baby's butt and make him cry. You'll get through much faster.
-Alex & Edy


Jakob and I are very lucky.


A GIGANTICUS THANK YOU to everyone. I was blown away by all your enormous generosity. I'll be sending specific 'thank you's' this week to each of you, but I wanted to get this post up right away and let you know how much this past weekend warmed our hearts. (And so my family back East can peek at the pix.)

I made a weepy speech on Saturday and I forgot (DOH!) to specifically thank Kate, Lisa & Nicole for all their hard work getting this shindig on its feet. I love you guys. Jakob and I are so grateful and a spectacular time was had by all. Bravissimo!

There's a lot of photos. To check 'em out, click here to visit Flickr.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi !

I'm Kate Turnipseed's Mother ...and I am so happy to see the pictures from the baby shower.

Kate just emailed the link to your blog and I'm going to pass it on to my sister and parents so they can read your blog and see the pictures.

Ain't modern technology swell ?

I am glad you and your husband have decided to wait until your baby's birth to learn whether it's a boy or girl but I must tell you that I knew with both my pregnancies what they were gonna be..I suspect you may know the sex as well.

We are all so proud of Kate and all she has achieved because as a kid she started off kind of slow ...

You and Jakob are off to the greatest adventure you'll ever know..raising babies into functioning adults..

It was the ride of a lifetime for me.I'm still trying to get over Kate.

Good luck to you !

Nicole Charbonneau White said...

Hi Tara!!

I feel like I know you so well even though we've never met! Kate would show me all the fun cat pictures you'd send via e-mail. Stuff on cats equals comedy gold! It made our work days a lot more fun!

Thank you so much for the baby bath and high chair. That was incredibly generous of you! When my baby gets here, I'll tell them fairy tales about the Great Princess Tara Turnipseed!

I'll also be sending you a ton of photos with the baby using the bath & highchair so you can see these items in action. Get ready for "Messy Food Face Baby White" and "Clean & Bubbly Baby White."

I DO feel like it's a great adventure. Jakob and I are so excited to meet the little one in my tummy. And may I say, you did a heck of a job because Kate is one of my most favorite people on the planet! No joke!

Thank you, thank you!!!!!

Jennifer Perkins said...

ahh i wish i coulda been there. i have been hearing about the prep work for this shower since February!