Sit Yer Preggo Butt Down. That's an Order.



Friday scared the bejesus outta me.

Karen Stein (college roommate, 'Shop Til You Drop' cohort & dear friend) graciously brought me to my doctor's appointment at 12pm. They sent me to the hospital immediately.

My blood pressure was too high. There was a slight presence of protein in my urine. Preeclampsia. My doctor was planning to induce my labor. I burst into tears at the word, "induce." I'm currently 35 weeks pregnant and still over a month away from my due date. I started thinking about premature babies in NIC units with weak lungs.

I was buggin' out.

As they wheeled me up to Labor & Delivery, Karen asked the hospital volunteer if he's ever allowed to "pop a wheelie" with the wheelchair. She kept me laughing. She kept me calm. Thank goodness. (Oh, and his answer was, "No. Poppin' a wheelie would get me in big trouble.")

For several hours, I was hooked up to a fetal monitor and my blood pressure was closely watched. The nurses were amazing. They reassured me that if the baby were born that day, it would be fine. It was a healthy baby and nearly 7 freakin' pounds! (Good baby!)

I breathed. I meditated. My blood pressure went down. My body returned to normal.

They decided to discharge me with two conditions:

#1. I had to collect my pee for the next 24 hours and bring it back to the hospital for lab tests. FUN! If you've never done a pee collection, it's terribly GOOFY! You sit on a plastic seat thingy that rests on your toilet and then carefully pour your liquid gold into what looks like an orange juice jug.

#2. Bed rest. I have to stay in bed with my feet up. I'm not supposed to do anything. This. Is. Tough. You all know me! I'm a GO GETTER! I need to be nesting, organizing, cleaning, walking, ANYTHING. But I HAVE to stay in bed. For my health. For my baby.

That's where we're at. I'm in bed. Resting. Watching Oprah.

Give me a call if you've got some time. For once, you know I'm home.

6 comments:

Jennifer Perkins said...

holy crap that sounds scary. you better keep your ass in bed little missy.

Nicole Charbonneau White said...

Yeppers. I'm takin' it easy. I guess this happens to gestating ladies more often than I previously knew about. I've heard from several women who also had to rest their final month of pregnancy...and they all had heathly babies. Yay!

Anonymous said...

OH HONEY!!!!
I'm stuck here in Iowa, but I'll grow a huge ass arm just to smack your booty back in bed! Or just to caress you lovingly, with Jakob's permission of course! I'm glad everything is ok...So scary, but everything will be fine my lady! I'll be able to pop by in 2 1/2 weeks. Stay healthy!!!

turnip

Anonymous said...

You are sooo good. I love the prggo pic's. :) Get ready for the shower this weekend. It's gonna have some thunda from down unda. Is is rude to have a stripper at a baby shower? Ask dear Abby. Only kidding.... We love you.
Mom

Dave Lowe said...

Can I get the doctor's number who gave you the orders to stay in bed? I have all the symptoms you described except for being pregnant.
Jokes aside, my sister went through the same thing while pregnant and all turned out good. Everyone in the family loves my nieces 2 heads and 3 arms.Feel better!

Anonymous said...

Hi Nikki,
I'm finally checking this fabulous blog out! I absolutely love it! I have to say my eyes even welled up a few times reading about all the crazy stuff going on.
It's fun for me to see how much of an exprience this has all been for you! You and Jakob are going to be incredible parents. It seems you've already been teaching Baby W. a whole lot! (s)he is a very lucky baby.
As we know, your wonderful Aunt Claire doesn't alway get the whole scoop and I didn't realize you were on bed rest! Please rest up these final weeks and GOOD LUCK with everything! Can't wait to see Baby W in action!
Erin