For My MOMS!!!!!!!!



This is a picture of my mom, Annemarie Charbonneau, in 1977. She just gave birth to me and she looks GORGEOUS! She's an extraordinary mother. Really, she's the best. As I count down the days to becoming a mother myself, I realize more and more how incredible she is.



This is a picture of my mother-in-law, JoLynn Bonin, in 1981. She's at her sister Jayne's wedding with a wee tiny version of what will eventually grow up to become my husband, Jakob. (Ain't he a CUTIE?!!!) I've heard people speak of their mother-in-laws with dread. I feel sorry for them. I lucked out BIG TIME! JoLynn is a generous friend, kind listener, and second mom to me.

Here's what I've learned from my moms...

#1. BE WHO YOU ARE!
You is who you is and trying to be something else is bunk! My mom always said, "Just be the best 'Nikki' you can be." Happiness is accepting and loving yourself. Neither of these ladies let other people define them. They stand up for themselves and they thrive.

#2. LAUGH, LAUGH & LAUGH SOME MORE
Sometimes, life can hand you a big bowl o' shite for you to swallow. Money woes. People get sick. Televisions fall on your head. There's a time to cry, but there's a time to laugh, too. I'm in awe of how both my moms have been able to get through all the tough stuff and still be crackin' jokes. And both moms have the most beautiful sounding laughter. Big, bold and intoxicating.

#3. YOU'RE STRONGER THAN YOU THINK, GIRL!
I have a tendency to want to give up and quit when things get hectic. But both moms continue to encourage me. Even when I think I can't, they are my cheerleaders jumping up and down and yelling, "We have faith in you!" And all of a sudden I think, "Well heck, maybe I can." And I do. And low and behold, I AM stronger than I originally imagined. When they believe in me, I believe in me. I'm a superhero!!!!!!!

#4. YOUR HUSBAND IS YOUR PARTNER, NOT YOUR DICTATOR
Both of my moms have remarkable spouses. I learned that marriage is playing on the same team together. He's not your boss. He's your equal. Your lucky to have him AND he's lucky to have you. I knew Jakob was the guy for me because everything I gave I got back.

#5. LOVE (IT'S ALL YOU REALLY NEED)
There's so much "stuff" in the world. Cars and houses and furniture and computers and ya dee ya dee ya. It's all just stuff. Money is just money. It can seem like the whole universe, but it isn't. Love endures all. And when you have love in your life, you are rich. And in that respect, I'm a very wealthy woman indeed.

Thank you, Moms! I hope my kid looks up to me the way I look up to you.

Happy Mother's Day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so easy to be a Mom when you have children like you. Love is all you need and you have so much to give and get. Being a Mom to you an Danielle has been the best job in the world.
Thanks Nikki for making me feel so loved.
I LOVE YOU!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Nicole, You know I love my boys, but I will always be grateful that God brought such a beautiful daughter into my life! My grandchild is so blessed to look forward to a future with YOU as MOM! You are wonderful!
Love you so, Mom/Jo

Anonymous said...

PS Where did you find that pic? I will admit that cherub will turn into a wonderful, handsome man! I'm am forever grateful that you two found each other!
PSPS
As you can see, after several months of trying, I finally caught the learning curve on how to respond to your blog...thank goodness since the baby is almost here!
PSPSPS
("Hi grand angel, we'll know your name soon!" love, Mimi)