My 29th Year.



The thought of another birthday was sort of annoying. I remember being a pre-teen and complaining to my mother saying, "I do not want to become an adult. Do I really have to grow up?" I feel the same at 29 that I did at 12.

29 is even more frustrating than say 24 or 26. I feel like time went and ran out on me. Can you still conquer the world at 29? Wasn't I supposed to be a hot, steamy pile of success prior to age 27?

Then, out of nowhere, this birthday decided to make me think. The thoughts that came to mind were important.

My godparents, Joe & Trisha Penabad, never forget my birthday. With everything in their own lives, they send me a card every year. They have such tremendous love and care. I appreciate it so much.

Carrie Seigel always sends me a card. It made me think about how she's so good with dates. She remembers every birthday and anniversary. At nearly thirty, I want to be better at that stuff.

My sister Danielle gave me a gift certificate to a spa. I was so moved that I cried. I've been trying to take better care of my body and a massage with a eucalyptus rub will certainly do the trick. I don't usually say this, but I totally deserve it.

I got a card & gift from Andrew Wollman. It made me think about how he used to be a good friend, but now he's family to Jakob, Cooper and I. He's not, "like a brother to me." He's my brother.

This was followed by loving phone calls from Alex Bakalarz who offered up his traditional Colombian blessing ("Hope you live 120 years!"), Karen Stein who plans to take me to see Nightmare Before Christmas in 3-D (Yay!) & Mark Fortin who has a knack for making me feel goofy, playful and wise all at the same time. My phone rang all day.



Lizzy Cooperman came over and we had a delicious lunch. You don't know if the friends you have when you turn 20 are the friends you'll know when you turn 30. I am a lucky gal.

My mother-in-law called. So many people kvetch about their in-laws. I thank my lucky stars that I have her in my corner. She's good people.

My mother found THE gift for me. It's a leopard print sewing box with faux fur trim. It's TO DIE FOR! My father made an audiotape for Cooper of him singing. Joe Charbonneau croons the classics! Cooper loves it. He tries to sing along.



As Cooper and Marvelous Marvin Monkey sang, 'Happy Birthday to Mommy,' I fully recognized that this is not merely the end of my twenties. I'm on the precipice of something huge. Something's telling me that 30 is not the curse I have imagined it to be. Something's telling me that 30 is going to be the start of something big.



Tonight, I'm spending the evening in. When Jakob gets home, he's going to put Cooper to bed. I get to take a long, luxuriated bath until my hands get all pruney. Then, I'm going to eat a gargantuan piece of cake and order a movie On Demand. This may be the best birthday yet.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

DEAR Nicole,
Wishing you MANY MANY MORE!!!
Love, Mom & Dad White
PS My mom, when asked how old she was would always say "I'm 29" ( a very good year!) The only problem came when I turned 29 she changed her script to "I'm 39" then I turned 39 and she figured (what the hell) I'm 29! and she still is today! :)
PSPS. 29 is a very very good year, you wear it well, enjoy!
PSPSPS You've got great genes!!!
PSPSPSPS. The best is yet to come( but you're already a whopping success in our book!)!

Anonymous said...

My baby is 29? Can it be true? I remember bringing you home from the hospital on a glorious autumn day. You are the glory of autumn. I see it in the pictures when you look at Cooper and your face shines so bright.Like it did when you were 12! Don't fret about age. Time ticks too fast to fret. The best is yet to come. You look gorgeous.
Love, your 49 year old MOM

Anonymous said...

Here is another Happy Birthday Wish Nicole....I also remember the day you came home from hosp. to PeterParley RD. Who says time flies?????? I have 2 29 year old granddaughters and after the first of the year will have 3 great grandbabies after Jolieanne has hers.....OH MY GAADDDD!!!!!!!
Take advantage of the day to be good to yourself.....LOVE NANA Marie

Anonymous said...

I am pushing 50 and I have to say I believe the best is yet to come. My life is full and ever evolving. I do not see it being any different for you.

Your parents served you well. They always encouraged to be true to your self and you have. You have the same friends because you have not let age or life circumstance change who you are at the core.

Some people live a whole lifetime and never accomplish that.

A toast to you dear friend and what all else is yet to come.

Many happy returns!

Susan
(Brian and Mitchell, too.)