The Tube

There's a video music channel called, ,THE TUBE that I'm a little in love with. You may or may not get it in your area. If you do, isn't it the best?! If you don't, it IS the best. I can't call this a poem. Here is today's musing.

The Tube

I accidentally press 304, but the channel I want is 305.
Occasionally, you disappoint.
Those lapses into Matchbox 20 and James Blunt almost make me want to shun you.
But you keep me hangin’ on with Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.
Something old (Talking Heads)
Something new (The Raconteurs)
Something borrowed (Elvis Costello singing ‘God Only Knows’)
Something blue (Aimee Mann)
Natalie Merchant singing ‘Because the Night.’
She has black eyes like a dead shark.
Would you ever dare to play the Patti Smith version?
Maybe someday.
The Smiths, “How Soon Is Now.”
Classic.
Makes me feel young, silly and want to kiss boys who wear eyeliner.
Whale’s ‘Hobo Humpin’ Slobo Babe.’
1994. That’s the year I lost my silly and got angry.
Mad at the world and attracted to the rage of others.
‘Naked Eye’ by Luscious Jackson.
Karen and I in our messy dorm drinking forties and eating nachos.
For a minute, I’m sad.
All we grow is old.
I’m not cool.
I’ll listen to The Killers
But I can’t bring myself to like ‘My Chemical Romance.’
Then the Red Hot Chili Peppers come on.
I don’t know the name of it.
It’s a new one.
Just imagine a modern Chili Peppers song.
That’s what it sounds like.
They all sound the same.
Depressing.
But then Beck’s ‘Devil’s Haircut’ saves the afternoon.
Beck was good then and he’s good now.
That makes me feel better.

0 comments: