Nikki Doodle

My husband recently left a collection of R. Crumb comics in the "library." (BTW-that's the bathroom!)

I was in high school when I saw Terry Zwigoff's documentary on Crumb and I instantly became a fan. His stuff was ugly and beautiful and satirical and sexual and attractive and uncomfortable. I liked the way he drew woman. I knew people thought his work was misogynistic, but I saw girls that were big and round like me and I liked it.

Jakob put the book in there on purpose. He wanted me to sketch. He knew that I'd start sketching if I started thumbing through Crumb comics.

I've always been a doodler. I'm constantly clogging the margins of my journals with odd illustrations of tree people and pigs and such.



I drew this one after my workout at the YMCA.

I was wearing my Pixies shirt and two different people said "nice shirt."

I hate exercise. I hate dieting. I love being sedentary. I'm way good at it.

My doctor has advised me to lose weight. I'm really going to try this time. I'm using my son as inspiration. I want to be the best mom I can be and that means being healthier.

2 comments:

RIRI said...

Good work Jakob. Nikki Doodle needed motivation. I love when you draw. It always makes me smile.

Anonymous said...

Nikki I love when you draw too! I still have my Queen card you drew for my first mother's day with you as my girl! I thank your parents for having such a comical, intelligent, talented and simply wonderful daughter! Now get out that sketch book and draw dammit!
the other mom