Ruby Monday...

We went into the doctor's office on Monday morning thinking to ourselves, "Today could be the day." And it was!

I had the choice of being induced or waiting another week and undergoing a "stress test." NICOLE TRUTH #212: I don't handle "stress" or "tests" well. We opted to get her done that day. GO TEAM WHITE!



We checked into St. Joseph's at 10am. Ruby made her grand entrance into the oxygen breathing world at 7:15pm.



She came out in two pushes. Dr. Han said I made it look easy. That struck me funny since I tend to fret and make things overcomplicated. My daughter's already helping me out.



She came out screaming, but quickly calmed down in Jakob's arms. He's head over heels for her. And he's become a master at swaddling! You've never seen such swaddling. If there was a swaddling team, he'd be captain.



We always liked the name Ruby. It's one of those names that works for both a young girl and an old lady. "Look at cute, little Ruby!" Cut to 80 years later, "That's Old Ruby. She's a firecracker!"

The middle name, Zuzu, is a reference to Frank Capra's classic 1946 film, "It's a Wonderful Life." Jimmy Stewart plays George Bailey, a man who learns in a time of crisis that one's life touches so many. One of George Bailey's kids in the movie is named Zuzu. I've always loved that name and it happens to be my dad's favorite movie. Since Jakob picked 'Kingsley' for Cooper based on a movie ('The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou') I thought it was only fair that I get to work in Zuzu.



Ruby Zuzu and I were beat. Birthin' be hard.



She was born with hair. And enormous feet! Seriously, folks, the paws on her are huge. She'll most definitely be an online shoe shopper.



We made it home late Wednesday. When Cooper met Ruby, he kissed her lightly on the forehead and said, "I love her." I burst into tears. I've never seen siblings meet before. It was the sweetest thing I've ever witnessed.



Sure, there's ups and downs...but it's a wonderful life.

2 comments:

Robert Irving said...

Thank you Nicole and Jakob for bringing beautiful Ruby Zu Zu into the world. She is already a wonder.

The photos and your blog narrative are a treasure.

It's a wonderful life!

Love
Robert and Bill

Joe said...

Pepere's in love too. She's beautiful. just like mommy! (and memere, too.)