Arty Baby

Dear Little One In My Tummy,

You are just growing up a storm, aren't ya? You're developing at super duper warp speed! You are over a foot long and way nearly 2 pounds! I can feel you kicking and punching me daily. I love it. Keep abusing me. It reminds me that you are alive in there.



What's mommy doing? Well, dad and I are in the process of converting the office into a nursery. My plan is still to have your Grampa Joe paint a gorgeous mural for you. However, I'm not sure he'll be able to make it out to California prior to your arrival. I wanted to make colorful, fun paintings to hang on your wall.



I was going to do some Jim Henson Muppets or Dr. Suess illustrations, but your father suggested that I make my own drawings. I decided to sketch out and paint some silly wildlife. I started with a giraffe since that is your dad's favorite animal. I think that's because they have long necks (like he does) and they tend to stare and ponder without making a noise (like he does).



Both your dad and Uncle Andrew find this particular elephant to be "shifty." I don't agree. I think this elephant is just being "coy." I figure you and I and your daddy can make up elaborate stories based on these animals that adorn your room.



For example, this is OPAL--the OCTOPUS. She went to school at OBERLIN where she studied the OBOE and OPERA. She hopes to someday write an OPUS. She loves eating OLIVES, OREO cookies, ONIONS and OYSTERS. Her best friends are an ODD OSTRICH named OSCAR and an OLD OWL named OMAR from OXFORD.

Just three more months until we meet. Think I can paint 26 of these by then?

I luv u.

-mom

To view all the paintings completed thus far,Click Here to Visit Flickr

3 comments:

Dave Lowe said...

these are great!!!
You are using lead based paints right?
I hope you post them all when done..would love to see.

Nicole Charbonneau White said...

Yes. Lead based paint with a hint of asbestos for texture.

I'm going to show off my process on the new show, "That's Clever...And Lethal!"

Awol said...

I'd like to see sketches of the owl and ostrich now.

Um, I don't think the nursery has quite enough room for 26 of those, btw.