Seven Months



Dear Little One,

We're in the homestretch! You now weigh 3 pounds. THREE POUNDS! I couldn't afford to buy 3 pounds of veal or lobster! Holy moly!

I saw you on a monitor last week at Dr. Shah's office and you refused to show us your face. You hid behind your hand. Are you shy? Are you stubborn? Are you teasing?

In less than 90 days, I'll finally get to meet you. I can't wait to hear what you sound like. I can't wait to hold you. I can't wait to see what a combination of mommy & daddy's features will look like! (Will you get dad's ears? If so, fear not--you WILL grow into them.)

And I can't wait to thank you for all you've already given to me.

Because of you, I began doing yoga. Yo! Check my balanced chakras!

Because of you, I stopped drinking. My liver is probably thriving again!

Because of you, I stopped consuming 5 cups of coffee and 2 sodas per day. I quit caffeine and my body is not nearly as stiff as it used to be.

Because of you (and my desire to actually "go to the bathroom" when I go to the bathroom), I have learned the value of a high-fiber diet.

Because of you, I have a newfound love and respect for my own mother and everything she did to bring me into this world.

Because of you, I have been in touch with people that I haven't spoken to in years and it feels good to reconnect.

Because of you, my husband thinks I'm a goddess. (He thought that before, but this pregnancy thing is really blowing his mind.)

But most of all, because of you I have found courage inside myself. I used to practiced a lot of "duck & cover" when it came to scary stuff. Now, I've become brave. You deserve a brave mommy who will show you how to use caution, but NEVER let fear run your life.

I've always had a big heart with lots of love to give. But I've never felt a love so enormous as the love I feel for you. Love that huge IS scary. To care so much for something takes courage. Honestly, I don't ever want you to be harmed, or be taken away, or get sick, or have anything bad happen to you. But I won't live in fear of this love. I embrace this love.

I thank you for choosing me to be part of this love.

Now, there are some unpleasantries that gestation has brought with it. Restless leg syndrome. Urinating 12 times a day. The lethal farts that make your father run away from me.

But the love is worth all of it. For sure.

Luv,

Mom

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the record, I only run away when you fan them towards me.

Anonymous said...

This was a really beautiful entry, Nic. I'm so looking forward to meeting your little bundle.

Quitting caffeine rids your body of stiffness? Hmmm.

Anonymous said...

oh my god!

will you be MY mommy too?

nah-kole!!! you're a 24 hour bread maker right now with a 3 pound squirm of dough. and you still have the inspiration and effort to write one of the most beautiful things i ever read.

that is one lucky 7month baby