An Afternoon of Dolphins & Giraffes



This may end up being a photo that the future 'teenage Cooper' might wish never existed. Too bad! All kids have goofy pictures of themselves from when they were babies. This green and white striped ensemble was a gift from my good friend Carrie and he looks precious in it.



As you can see, this romper has a dolphin on it. That got Cooper and I talking all about dolphins. He thought they were fish. I had to set him straight and let him know that they were actually mammals. I explained that they're warm-blooded, breath air and feed their young with milk that they produce themselves. He seemed confused. It might be a bit much for him to digest at this juncture since he has not yet learned any words.



One word that Cooper might learn ahead of schedule is 'giraffe.' He seems to have lots of giraffes in his collection. I painted him a giraffe for his wall. He has three different onesies, two blankets and a set of crib sheets with giraffes on them. And now daddy gave him this giraffe with what appears to be very heavy eyelids. Geez, Mr. Giraffe. Get some sleep. You need an Ambien? I have one in my purse.



Well the giraffe's name is Gerry, (He came with that name. It's on the tag.) and it looks like he's an instant fave. Cooper and I talked a little bit about giraffes. I told him that giraffes have spots covering their entire bodies, except their underbellies, and each giraffe has a unique pattern of spots. He nodded at me and then licked Gerry's face.

I love our conversations on zoology.

For more new pictures of Coop, click here to visit Flickr.

5 comments:

Nicole Charbonneau White said...

p.s.
My husband just gave me an exacerbated look and announced, "That's a shark on his outfit, not a dolphin. It doesn't have a dolphin's nose."

Well, well, well. Fine. It's a shark.

It's taxing being married to Mr. Know-it-all.

Anonymous said...

It's very taxing. I have the same Mr. Know-it-all husband. But what a great set of photos! Cooper you look marvelous in pastels. Mommy is such a smartie. Great use of the mirror! Nicole you look so good. I miss you guys.
Love
Grannemarie

Anonymous said...

The first picture in the set gave me inspiration to answer the last blogs question. I think Cooper would make a sweet Swee' Pea. Click the link to read what I found in my research:

http://emol.org/~emol/movies/popeye/littlesweetpea/movie256.html

Mitchell was a pumpkin for his first Halloween. He was only a month older than Cooper will be. I could see if I still have it, but I think I passed it on to some friends.

Besides, I am with your dad. It has be more original than something off the shelf.

You and Cooper have the coveted spot of desktop photo for my laptop. Love the mirror shot!

Love all of you!
Susan

Anonymous said...

When Mitchell was nine months old my mother couldn't get over the fact that when I put him in his high chair and said "raise your hands" so I could snap on the tray, he did.

My grandmother asked if I could believe that my cousin had told her young'un that something was "unacceptable". My grandmother argued that the child had no idea what that word meant.

I pointed out to both of them that the way children learn language is is that we speak it to them. You keep telling Cooper about the wide world. Bet he knows what you mean when you say "giraffe".

And tell Jakob I think it's a dolphin! We like the cudly animals.

Susan

Anonymous said...

hey nicole, didn't you wonder why we were so willing to hand over Jakob so quickly when we met you?
We knew if anyone could deal with all that know "everythingness" ( which actually comes in handy at times:) it would be someone as patient and intelligent as you!
love you, Mom & Dad