Breaking the Sound Barrier



When we go to the mall to play in their "toddler-friendly-padded-romper-room," Cooper likes to run, spin around and scream at the tippy top of his lungs.

Other children back away from him.

Two girls have pushed him...to the ground...with force.

Cooper is never discouraged. He pops right back up and continues his crazy play.

He goes up to every adult and starts to talk to them. Then he tries to grab their purses, shopping bags or water bottles.

I say, "No, no, Cooper! That's not yours. Give it back, please." and make him return whatever treasure he has stolen. Once I've taken the object away, he has a meltdown.

I feel other mom's eyes on me as he wails.

Some of them sympathize. Some of them judge me.

Well, I'm doing the best I can. I hope that's good enough for Cooper.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? Cooper is not deterred because you have already instilled self confidence in him.

When Mitchell was little he was under the impression that we knew everyone on the planet. He would grab moms we did not know around the thigh at the playground. I explained that we only touch people if we know them, if we know their name. He proceeded to walk up to another woman, stretched out his hand and said, "Hi, I'm Mitchell. What's your name?"

Mitchell did not like being told no when it came to anything. Ask your Mom. She's seen it.

I believe that as kids realize they are not the center of the universe and that they need to consider others they go through a stage where any suggestion otherwise will bring on a meltdown. They call it the terrible twos. However, the smarter the child, the earlier they go through this stage.

Cooper will get over it, and hopefully with that wonderful self worth in tact. The moms who look sympathetic get that. The people who look judgmental do not. Ignore them. You are doing a wonderful job. That's why your kid is so gleeful at play.

Keep up the good work!

Love you lots,

Susan