KETUBAH

**SNEAK PEEK**

I finished the ketubah for Alex & Edy's wedding on October 6th.

This was both a challenge and an honor.

DEFINITION: A "ketubah" is a beautiful and ancient part of the Jewish wedding ceremony. It is the official contract between bride and groom, whose marriage officially starts the moment it is signed. Ketubot (plural for "ketubah") once were plain legal-looking contracts, but over time a tradition formed, called "hiddur mitzvah" which calls for ceremonial objects to be made as beautiful as possible. Ketubot are now works of art, chosen to reflect the personal feelings of the bride and groom. They are now also proudly hung in the home, serving as a daily reminder of the vows they have made to each other. At its heart, the ketubah is a personal document, a contract between the bride and groom, signed in front of God and family.



I wanted to tell Alex & Edy's love story and I struggled with how I could do that.

I didn't use paint. I decided to create quilled images with paper.

The upper left corner represents Alex's roots. It features orchids; the national flower of Colombia.

The upper right corner represents Edy's roots. It features red poppies. As I was researching, I discovered that Poland doesn't have one solitary national flower, but the red poppy is considered by most to be the unofficial frontrunner.

The lower left corner is Boston, where Alex and Edy met. It features mayflowers; the state flower of Massachusetts. I am quite proud of my paper swan boat.

The lower right corner is L.A., where Alex & Edy's love grew and where they decided to marry. It features the yellow "beach" poppy; the state flower of California.

I hope they like it. I hope I didn't muck it up.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. Nice work!