It's been hotter than a mutha lovah in the San Fernando Valley. Originally I had thought, "Oh, goody! I'll be done with this pregnancy before the real summer heat gets here." No such luck, kiddo.

Today's trip to the doctor's office was disappointing. They say my blood pressure is creeping up again and that my cervix is showing NO signs of progress compared to last week. COME ON, CERVIX! We've always been friends before. Why be stubborn when I need you most? (Insert haunting echo of the classic Firehouse ballad…"I need you nowwwwwww…More than words can say, I need you nowwwwww.")

Since it's a mere 7 days before my due date, I have a follow-up appointment on Tuesday (6/6/06…freaky!) when they'll check me again and perhaps talk about setting up a date to induce.

Induce. I kinda hate that word. For me, all I hear is a taunting subtext that says, "Your body is a slow poke."

I've been looking into some natural ways to get the ball rolling (out of my uterus and into the world) and here are a few options I've read about:

1. EAT THE SALAD
Supposedly, a salad containing romaine lettuce, watercress, red cabbage, walnuts, gorgonzola cheese & balsamic vinegar is supposed to bring about contractions. I tried this already. Nothing happened and I was still hungry.

2. SPICY FOOD
Some folks swear that if you pig out on Mexican, Cajun or Indian food than you'll go into labor within 24 hours. The drawback here is that you may end up with intense heartburn and gas as you head to the hospital. Will the nurses still provide me with loving care if I'm a fart machine?

3. DRINK COD LIVER OIL
Ewwwwwwww. Really? Let's save this as a last resort.

4. FOOT RUB
Massage therapists suggest rubbing the feet and ankles to inspire labor. I guess there are pressure points in the feet that are linked to your pelvic region. Jakob has been giving me ample foot rubs, but this is a good reason for me to henceforth request them nightly.

5. DO IT!
This is THE most popular method to bring about the birth of a baby. Sex releases a hormone called oxytocin, which causes the uterus to contract. Additionally, semen contains a substance known as prostaglandins, which will help soften the cervix. I guess I'd better go shave my legs.

If anyone out there has other suggestions, please send them my way.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mother walked backwards, around Jamaica Pond. I remember her talking about going down a flight of stairs backwards as well.

The truth is it happens when it happens. Mitch was
two weeks early and Kenney was two weeks late. Both times I was induced.

My water broke with Mitchell, although my cervix was equally stubborn. They gave me patosin (sp?) and I lounged on a hospital bed watching movies and napping until it worked 12 hours later.

My cervix was half way dialated with Kenney, but the
doctor had to break my water. Then they made me walk around the hospital until I could not stand anymore.

Minutes seem like hours when your waiting. I wish I
knew about getting your feet rubbed back then.
Although I can't complain. I get them rubbed
regularly now... eleven years later. Mitchell asks
about you every other day.

You are always in our thoughts. Hang in there and as crazy as it sounds, savor every minute.

Love you loads!
Susan